Unable to compile OF for iOS using Xcode 6.1.1, OS 10.10.2 on 64-bit iPad Air 1

I can’t compile OF 0.8.4 iOS using Xcode 6.1.1, and OS Yosemite 10.10.2 on a 64-bit iPad Air 1 running iOS 8.1 (I’ve tried the example projects and using project generator to create a new empty project.) The same project compiles fine on my iPhone 5 (which I believe is 32 bit). I’ve spent a couple of hours researching and know that 64 bit support is being developed and will be released with OF 0.9. In the meantime, I’m trying to figure out how to continue developing my project on my iPad air with 0.8.4. In this thread on the OF forum, @pizthewiz says

No, I don’t believe openFrameworks currently has precompiled-binaries or project settings that target arm64 (iPhone 5s / iPad Air). That said, an iPhone 5s / iPad Air absolutely can run armv7 / armv7s binaries

But they don’t explain HOW to run armv7 on this device. I realize that until my app is compiled with arm64, I won’t be able to release it to the app store (see end of this thread). But I’d like to continue developing it in good old stable 0.8.4 until 0.9 is officially released with 64 bit support. Is @pizthewiz correct - is this currently possible?

This is the error I’m getting when trying to compile on the iPad Air:

Undefined symbols for architecture armv7:
“ofSetupOpenGL(int, int, int)”, referenced from:
_main in main.o
“ofRunApp(ofBaseApp*)”, referenced from:
_main in main.o
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture armv7
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

When I allow Xcode to perform the recommended changes to the project settings, I get a new error:

No architectures to compile for (ONLY_ACTIVE_ARCH=YES, active arch=arm64, VALID_ARCHS=armv6 armv7).

I’ve tried tweaking the architecture settings under Build Settings but haven’t been able to get anywhere. Here is an image of my current settings (which give me error #1):

Any help or advice would be much appreciated :smile: !!

(@bakercp and @mikewesthad, I’ve posted the same question to the OF forum here. Is it poor form to post the same question in two different forums? I know not all the oLab people read the OF forum, and thought it may be useful, so that’s why I chose to do it but please let me know what you think the proper etiquette is!)