Sound Sensitive LED lighting - How do I get Started?

Greetings! Christopher Baker sent me here. My name is Risa Recio, I am currently a Post-Bacc in the PTDW department and am to the Art and Technology department for some insight. I don’t know anyone in the Art and Tech department so I was hoping you could perhaps recommend a student I could reach out to or perhaps a faculty member.

I am interested in lighting an installation wherein the light would pulse to an audio track. I have done some research into it, and there are “music sensitive LEDs”, but I don’t think that is what I am after. I have an audio track of sheet rock being hammered at I would want the lights to pulse with the hammer sound specifically, not the other noises (my breathe, my footsteps, etc.). In my research I have found several DIY directions, but I’m not sure which will work best for my project.

All this is very new to me, but I was hoping to realize this project for the Post-Bacc show which opens June 9th. I feel very lost in this new and strange endeavor (Arduinos? coding? soldering?), if you have any recommendations as to who I should talk to who might be able to give me some direction, I would really appreciate it. I am more than happy to provide them coffee for a bit of their time and expertise!

Thank you!

Risa

@twobeers83 @noahcoleman @audrajaot got any tips?

Hey @risarecio,

I’ve had decent results with this wiki on sound sensors:

http://wiki.wiring.co/wiki/Sound_Sensors

By following their schematic, this was my result ( a helpful tip before seeing the video below is lowering your speakers :stuck_out_tongue: ) :

Sounds like you’ll need to isolate certain frequencies, though.

@cshallenberg was helping a student in Jan’s Public Light and Space with something very similar (linking audio to a pulsing light). Christine, who was it? Maybe you can connect the two…

I’m also around school this week and available for a little chat over coffee to figure out what exactly you want to do and what you need. just for the initial introduction on what you can do with an Arduino. I will be leaving town next week, however, and won’t be able to help after that.

-tobias
(you can send me an email on tzehnt@saic.edu if you want to meet)

This sensor is great.

Not too expensive, easy to program and use and very accurate as well.
I would recommend it. Let me know if you need assistance with anything and
I can give you my two sense as well.

Best,
Christine
cshallenberg@gmail.com

Thanks @cshallenberg @twobeers83 and @danbertner! You all rock. @risa​recio welcome to the wonderful world of openLab :smile: Please keep us posted on your progress!