LilyPad Arduino Trouble Shooting

I am trying to upload some code onto my LilyPad, which I have not used for a very long time. But Arduino keeps giving me this error message:

“Found programmer: Id = “‡‡‡”; type = ˇ
Software Version = ˇ.ˇ; Hardware Version = ˇ.ˇ
avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn’t
a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device?”

The last time I used it, it worked fine. But that was about a year and a half ago.

I just got this message:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xe0

Hmmm … it seems like a communication issue. Have you confirmed the actual microcontroller chip?

How would I do that?

do you have the link to where you bought it?

those errors sometimes also show up when you have accidentally chosen the wrong serial port or the wrong device. check in the Arduino app Tools>Board (in your case “Lilypad Arduino w/ ATmega328” and Tools>Serial Port (one of the USB ones, available when it’s plugged in). sometimes, quite at random, it also helps to switch to another USB port on your mac and restart the Arduino software and the mac.

I have ran into similar problems in the past, try using a different computer or reinstalling the arduino software. If you are using a mac sometimes cached settings mess up the upload with avr dude. It happens every time I use my megas to program my ATTinys and often just is fixed if I close the program and reopen it or restart the computer. If it happens with other computers it could be a couple things.

(Makes it easier to tell if its the computer or the arduino thats the problem)

If those simple steps don’t do anything try reinstalling the bootloader, its uncommon but sometimes the fuses dont reset properly or if an upload fails or is interrupted the fuse settings could cause problems. I once bricked a mega when the clock fuse got set to 0 making it impossible to ever communicate with it again…